05 March 2012

Establishing a Future

It's very interesting for me to think that somewhere in Finland, right now, there are people thinking about me. And perhaps it is not in more than a name- but maybe they're merely thinking of the girl who could be with them next year.

Right now, there are people with AFS organizing my application and figuring out where I'd best be abroad. Maybe they're debating sending my application to the Lahti Liaison, or maybe the Tampere one, or even somewhere like Inari. I am in their thoughts, I am in their hands, and I am in their days. I wonder if I'll ever meet any of them, if they'll have a large role in my exchange year.

Right now, there is a family in Finland, debating which person to host. At this point, they could be very unsuspecting, not realizing that I think about them almost every day. Or maybe they think about me just as much as I think about them, because maybe they're as excited as I am to make contact. Regardless of these things, though, there is a family in Finland who will soon enough have me with them. They will pick me, and I will go.

And right now, there are people all around the world who have some sort of interaction with me at some point- whether they be as teachers, classmates, fellow exchangers, or strangers I run into. I can't tell you enough how curious I am about all of them. They will play such a role in my life that it can't possibly be imagined at this time. Maybe they wonder about the possibilities of me too.

Foreign exchanges are intricate things. I have imagined these moments for the past two years, and it's hard for me to grasp that all of this exchange is really happening. It seems so surreal. I never really believed the blogs that said, "I can't believe this is actually happening!" or "It doesn't seem real yet!" but now those seem to be the mottos of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment